Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 26, 2011

How can one person make Tulsa more urban?

I'd like to start this off by telling you my BEST (;D) kept secret. I am obsessed with all things urban. Urban cities, urban buildings, urban design, etc. It really kind of scares me. A kid my age, espescially one living in the suburbs, usually could care less about such things. Kids my age care about Facebook, Twitter, texting, and what car they plan on getting. While I do enjoy those things, they're not a driving passion, so to speak, for me. (Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of friends...:D) I have a passion, and it is for urban design. When I get out of college, I plan to buy/rent a loft downtown, and enjoy the hard core urban lifestyle for several years. If Tulsa doesn't have a fully urban and walkable area in about 7-8 years, I will move away for a while. Bottom line, I am going to be one of those young professional urbanites for a while. I will have this experience. If it has to be in another city, then so be it. But, I want it to be in Tulsa.

So, with that said, I would like to try and make a list of things that each of us can do to make Tulsa a more urban city. Some may be easy and quick, and others might require going out of your way a little, but I really want everyone who reads this blog to take them into consideration, and apply them to your daily life whenever you can.

1. Take the bus more often. (if its available to you) Even if it's just once a week, or once a month, ride the bus. Increased ridership numbers will mean increased interest in city leaders to better our public transit. It frustrates me so much to see all these empty busses driving around town. If it's available to you, use it! Even if it's only on occasion.

2. Walk. Walk wherever you can. If it's the restaurant a quarter mile away from your house, walk to it. There is no sense in taking your car a quarter to a half mile when it is not raining, hailing, sleeting, or snowing outside. Increased pedestrians enhance the feel of neighborhoods, and could help get zoning codes changed.

3. Ride your bike. If you have a bike, put it to good use and ride it! This sort of ties in with increased walking, it just gives you longer ranges. Instead of driving your car to go pick up the prescription from CVS, ride your bike. And unless there are bike lanes off the street, ride your bike in the road. This will eventually drive even the most anti-bikes person into advocating for bike lanes. They'll get sick of there being so many slow bikes blocking their Suburban's path.

4. Take advantage of the River Parks trails. We have fantastic trails and parks along the Arkansas River, so it's a no brained to visit them on a regular basis. What you don't use you lose, and we definitely don't want to lose these.

5. This is the last one, and the one that I feel to be the most important. Get involved in your community. Whether it's a neighborhood association, meeting friends for coffee, joining a running or biking club, a book club, a church function, or countless other things, they all help make a city livable. Nothing makes a city more livable than involved, connected citizens.

I hope that we can all put these five suggestions into our lives. Tulsa is a great city, filled with wonderful citizens who are capable of making a difference and changing the city for the better. So I ask you all, what else can we do to make Tulsa a more urban, or an overall better city? I welcome, no, I beg your input to this discussion. Please feel free to voice your opinion by leaving a comment, and by voting in the poll.

No comments:

Post a Comment