Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 29, 2012

I feel like ranting...

Today I feel like ranting. I don't know why, but I do. As much as I would like to rant about Blogger being very difficult when it comes to changing the look of the site, and how they seem to hate Apple, I won't because that has no relevancy to this blog.

So my rant for today is about a phrase that I commonly hear and read. "I love downtown, but it will never be as good as it was in the 20's, and that's okay." Let's begin our annotation with the first pure in this quote, "I love downtown..." This is the only part of the quote that pleases me. It shows that the person does in fact enjoy downtown, and probably visits fairly often, and is not just some close-minded person who hasn't been downtown in twelve years and is still spewing their opinion as though they frequent it. Now the second phrase, "...but it will never be as good as it was n the 20's..." Wait, what? But I thought you loved downtown. If so, then why are you giving up hope on it now? I believe downtown has the full potential to achieve a level of vibrancy, importance, and vitality equal to or greater than it was in years past, but it needs the full support of citizens. And now the worst part, "...and that's okay..." This drives me insane! No, it's not okay. Downtown and surrounding areas very much have the potential to become just as great as they were before. We should not settle for anything less. Our city will only improve as long as we strive to make it better. That does not include deciding ahead of time that Tulsa has already seen its best days, and that days like those will never return.

Come on Tulsans! Let's have some faith in our capabilities and not limit ourselves by language such as this. We have the potential, so why hold back?

No comments:

Post a Comment