Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Random Opinion

Recently I have been reading in TNF a discussion that brings to light the notion that there is nothing to draw people in to our downtown. That it is a nice little area, of which is developing into just another neighborhood. No, those aren't the poster's exact words, but it's what I got out of it.

And to add my opinion, I would have to say that I completely disagree that there is nothing downtown to draw people in, or that makes it unique from other cities. I know many people who make trips to downtown specifically for the amazing restaurants. I frequently hear people at school rave about how good Joe Mommas, McNellies, etc. are. I see the restaurants in downtown as the number one (aside from BOK and ONEOK) draw for people that would not normally go downtown to make a special trip there.

And aside from restaurants drawing people in, think about how many 5k's are held downtown every year. More than I can count, and they certainly draw people in. Thousands. And what about all the Brady and the Cains. They draw hundreds to a couple thousand people in nearly every weekend. If you include the BOK Center then you have several thousand people lured into downtown for every event. And you of course cannot deny that many people would not be in downtown on a regular basis if it weren't for ONEOK and the Drillers.

Now think about the museums being constructed on the Matthews Warehouse block. They will definitely be something that many people consider worth visiting. And along with the art museums, there are all the art festivals and Friday night Art Crawl held in the Brady throughout the spring and summer. Talk about unique and full of character.

So overall, I think that the fear that our downtown has nothing unique to bring people, as well as money, in is unwarranted. It is a neighborhood that is devleloping a distinct character and personality, and we should encourage that. So far downtown has developed very organically and I think that is why it is what it is today. Let's not hinder what it has going because we are afraid that it is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment