Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 10, 2012

Why we don't need to keep up with OKC

This post is written as a response to Jake, who left a comment on the previous post regarding the talk in OKC of another new skyscraper(s) that will most likely be announced relatively soon. He also said that Tulsa needs to build one to "get in on the race." I will preface this post by stating that I do not intend to be rude or put anyone down, it is just me giving my full and unedited opinion. I enjoy all feedback from readers of this site, and I welcome differing opinions from mine.

Let me start by saying this, the city of Tulsa cannot simply build a new skyscraper at will. It takes a corporation willing to spend the money to do so. It doesn't matter how much we *really* want a new skyscraper, it will not happen until either a corporation or investor sees the need for one. OKC has seen this with Devon, and will probably end up seeing it again with another company.

"Wait, what? You mean that OKC currently has a skyscraper under construction and is likely to see at least one more in the coming years? But what about us? We must build a taller one in order to proclaim our superiority!" In my opinion, this thought process is totally wrong. I have grown tired of the attitude that we must mimick everything OKC does, or we will fall behind. This next part will damage the prides of many of you, but I believe it's true. OKC has already "outdone" us in terms of business and population growth. I don't think Tulsa will ever be as big as OKC, and that is okay. That does not mean that Tulsa cannot be as good as, or even better than OKC in terms of actual human-scale day to day life.

Why does it matter to us if OKC has the bigger skyline, or is adding population at a faster rate? Bigger does not equal better.

Here in Tulsa we have beautiful, historic neighborhoods. A downtown that is growing and revitalizing at an extremely quick pace, and many neighborhoods around it that are beginning to gentrify. We also have several very nice and rapidly growing suburbs.

So why are we so worried about OKC "outdoing" us? They are simply experiencing different circumstances than we are now. Who knows, we could be in their shoes in 5-10 years. Besides, some of the citizens are starting to get inflated heads, we should be happy that we're keeping all the nice people here. :)

4 comments:

  1. Kyle,
    My comment on your last post must have come across the wrong way. I found your blog about two months ago and have enjoyed the updates on Tulsa. I was born and grew up in Tulsa until i left for college. Tulsa development is something i have followed for years and years. Another passion of mine is skyscapers and skylines. Tulsa has a better skyline than OKC and is a better city to live, work and play in. However, my question was sincerely to ask if you have heard the word in any developments concerning skycrapers. Tulsa, like OKC has the companies and money to build skyscrapers, seemingly not the passion. Downtown OKC has become the place to move (your business) and conduct business. Tulsa looks to be improving in this area and my post was an inquiry of any word. The great skylines of America were built as a so called race. The Empire State building versus the Chrysler, The first national vs city place tower in okc, etc. I do not think Tulsa needs to mimic anybody. Tulsa is a very different city than OKC, but an inquiry about a skyscraper should not be followed with a rant about competition among cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I took it the wrong way, your theme in this post and the theme in the last one seem about the same. To answer your question: no, I haven't heard anything about a new skyscraper. Not even the tiniest whisper.

    Please don't misconstrue this as me trying to be rude with you, or demeaning you in any way. This blog is much more fun when I get to read opinions other than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you look @ the history of skyscraper development, most of the U.S. cities experienced skyscraper development in the early 80's, virtually none in the 90's, and now since 2005, has really picked back up. However, if you look even more closely, it seems each city experienced it own skyscraper boom, but it trickles down from the larger cities then to the smaller cities. I am going to exclude NYC, Chicago, and LA for this next segment, because they way ahead in skyscraper development, and including them will construe my analysis.

    Larger cities like Dallas, Denver, and Houston, all had a major skyscraper boom in the early 80's, with these cities, building 5-6 skyscrapers at time. While OKC only build one significant skyscraper downtown (Oklahoma Tower 1982) and Tulsa (Mid-Continent Tower 1984). Then in the early 90's you had the skyscraper boom trickle down to the Tier 2 cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Philadelphia. For example, 6 of the 7 tallest skyscrapers in Philadelphia were built between 1990 - 1992. Moving on to the smaller cities like Miami, Austin, and San Diego really started picking up skyscraper boom in late 2000's, in contrast to larger cities like Dallas and Houston that only seen 1 - 2 major skyscrapers in over 25 years. So moving on to the 2010's you have smaller cities like OKC, Nashville, Raleigh, and Portland just now tapping in to a skyscraper boom. So with that being said, I am sure Tulsa is not that far off from seeing a major skyscraper constructed in the 10 years, we just have to wait our turn like OKC did, Devon was the first major skyscraper constructed in downtown OKC since 1982!. So for OKC to have Devon Tower and possibly two more major skyscrapers with then next few years if very rare. Skyscrapers don't come easy. Tulsa will get one, we just have to wait our turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much agree with that statement, Modernism, and I share your optimism for the future.

      PS., I'm preparing to do a post on the Pearl District, hopefully tomorrow. Do either for you (or anyone else) know of any developments or rumors in that area? It is me that I am not too in the know of. Thanks!

      Delete